* You can also find information in your Surviving Overseas Booklet provided by the Airmen Family Readiness Center at GK.
Address: Valkenburger Str. 45
52525 Heinsberg, Germany
Get DirectionsTelephone: 02452-131050/02452 13-1100
Hours: Mon Tues & Wed 0700-1700 – Fri 0700-1500 – Sat 0900-1200
Unfortunately, even in the couple years that I’ve lived here, police are cracking down on the rules about proper documents and crossing the border means you need your International Driver’s License in addition to your USAREUR license. It’s inexpensive though – a whole lot less that the cost of a ticket if you get caught without one, and it will come in handy when you travel to other countries that require it. Besides, it is more widely recognized then your USAREUR one, if there is a problem, it can help to have something that the police know. You certainly don’t want to have to argue your rights far from home in a language you can’t speak. Yep… this is one of those “better safe than sorry” situations.
- Your US passport or military ID
- Your USAREUR license
- A European-sized passport photo (Here’s a place in GK that’s fast)
- Cash. The current fee is 14 Euros cash – it may change. Come prepared with a little extra.
3. FILL OUT the paperwork that they give you and give them your passport photo.
4. PAY the fee at the Kasse.
5. BRING the cashier receipt back to the person who helped you and then they will give you your new license.
IMPORTANT: Your International Driver’s License isn’t valid alone. It MUST be shown WITH a valid national driver’s license from the issuing country of the International Driver’s License. So, if you get the International Driver’s License in Germany, you must have a USAREUR license issued in Germany. Your International Driver’s License is also ONLY valid outside the country that you’re in. It will be valid for three years.
IF YOU’RE MOVING HERE: If you’re not in the GK area yet, do be sure that your state driver’s license is current when you arrive and when you test. You cannot get a USAREUR license without a valid state license. No USAREUR license = no driving privileges anywhere over here.