Ok, so Concierge.com is marketing to people with a little more in their pockets than the majority of us here, but, their “budget travel” articles usually have some great information and good advice!
Budget Europe 2008
Article At a Glance…
- Enjoy a luxury spa experience – the article lists a few reasonable destination spas: Friedrichsbad in Germany, King Edward’s Royal Cabin in the Check Republic, and Copenhagen’s Vandkulturhuset.
- Hear a world-class concert inexpensively at one of Europe’s beautiful cathedrals like Paris’s Notre-Dame cathedral.
- Eat well at the markets like the Mouffetard in Paris, Turin’s Eataly marketplace, London’s Borough Market, and Berlin’s all-organic Marheineke Markthalle.
- Bike it, bus it, boat it. Think about your transportation options that could make your trip more reasonable. Bikes can be rented in cities like Paris and Berlin, or make the bike the adventure and do the “Bike the Mosel” ride when the roads are closed to traffic or rent white bicycles in the The National Park ‘De Hoge Veluwe’. (Search Mosel and Bike and you’ll find a TON of trails and trips… here’s one that looked amazing! http://www.radreisen.at/en/cycling-tours/germany/germany-tour-details/moselle-vineyards-3-countries-by-bike-and-boat.html)
- Pick beaches that are beautiful, but not touristy like Latvia’s Jurmala, on the Baltic Sea, Croatia’s Dalmatian Coast, Turkey’s Patara Beach.
- Go East for better deals… former Eastern Europe is still cheaper than the Euro rich west and still offers beautiful cities and rich arts: Polish National Opera, Hungarian National Gallery, Slovak National Gallery.
- Use local transit (fast trains and trams) with inexpensive daily rates: Nice transit, Bordeaux transit, Athens transit
- Hike! Try Transylvania: Pure Adventures
- Apartments, especially for larger groups, are almost always cheaper than hotels and will usually have a kitchen allowing you do prepare at least some of your meals in in stead of eating 3 meals out every day.
Dollar-Friendly Destinations 2008
— This article lists Portugal among other worldwide destinations… good ideas!